Unknown gunmen on Tuesday in Anambra State, brutally killed Dr. John Chike Akunyili, husband of late Prof. Dora Akunyili, former Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
His killing further exposes the troubling mayhem being unleashed in the Southeast region of Nigeria by misguided youths cum criminals.
- He married Dora Nkem Akunyili many years ago, with whom he had six children and several grandchildren. Their children are Ijeoma, Edozie, Somto, Njideka, Chidiogo, and Obumneme.
- Chike Akunyili accompanied Dora to India for treatment of endometrial carcinoma, a disease which sadly later claimed her life in 2014, aged 59.
- The Akunyili family won an American lottery many years ago, and received the US Green Card, but according to Chike Akunyili, officials of that country wanted to make his wife a citizen but “she vehemently refused, insisting that nothing would take her out of her home country on a permanent basis”.
- Mr. Akunyili until his killing, was running St Leo’s Hospital, one of the biggest in Enugu State.
- He is said to have graduated with first class.
- He is into charity.
- He is a physician.
- He supported his wife’s pharmacology studies.
As of the time of publishing this report, there is no official statement yet from the police concerning Chike Akunyili’s murder.